Team Sunderland is a community-focused sports program established in 2011 by the University of Sunderland. Registered as part of Sunderland City Sports Club, Team Sunderland currently have teams, programs, and opportunities in Volleyball, Netball, and Basketball for anyone aged 7 years and up, providing a beginner to performance pathway for the city and surrounding areas. More information about the history of Team Sunderland can be found here.
Sunderland City Sports Club's main purpose is to create a highly successful and sustainable sporting programe, competing to the highest standard as Team Sunderland, and to serve the City of Sunderland and its local community with the provision of high quality sporting opportunities regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability or sexuality.
• Implement a participation pathway to ensure that all young people have the opportunity to contribute to their sport at a level that suits them
• Raise the standards of provision through achieving Clubmark to ensure all members have access to facilities of the highest standard, experienced and extensively qualified coaches and appropriate playing opportunities
• Provide a service of the highest quality at an affordable price, representative of our target market
• Work with NGBs, Tyne and Wear Sport, Sunderland City Council and other key partners to ensure that sport and active recreation flourishes across the City
• Develop and strengthen the club environment to ensure an enjoyable and sustainable experience which is attractive and welcoming to prospective members
• Offer a range of activities including holiday camps acting as an introduction to Team Sunderland sports, Satellite Clubs to extend the Team Sunderland’ reach into surrounding areas, school sessions to deliver beginner and talent ID sessions, weekly training and competitive fixtures
• Establish a long running relationship with satellite, regional and county academies to ensure development of elite members
• Work with high quality coaches to deliver sessions for members and encourage such coaches to work with junior coaches to ensure sustainability to the coaching programme
• Continuously work with local schools and colleges to ensure that satellite clubs are set up around the City to make participation in club sport more accessible
• To attain the highest level of NGB Clubmark accreditation.
Governance & Membership:
Sunderland City Sports Club is a member based community club, governed by ratified terms and conditions, and overseen by a set of committees and groups for relevant sports and programs. The Sunderland City Sports Club Committee Board oversees the delivery and function of the club, it's teams (competing as Team Sunderland / Sunderland City Predators), and membership matters. Further information on the strucutre of the Board and it's function can be downloaded here